Monday, October 21, 2013

Gardening and canning to save money

My parents live on an acreage and planted a big garden this year. It's been so nice to have fresh corn, watermelons, onions, peppers, tomatoes, spinach, and sweet potatoes on hand. Planting a garden is a cheap way to eat healthy. It's also super convenient. Need an onion for that recipe? Walk outside and get one. Anyone can do it. You don't need an entire acreage to garden. Try out a container garden if you lack space.

http://www.designmom.com/2013/05/living-well-7-secrets-for-a-successful-container-garden/#_a5y_p=725054

We've spent several Sundays canning so that we can enjoy these fresh foods through the winter. Yesterday, we made another batch of salsa.

The prep work takes the longest.
Tomatoes with the skins off. We put the tomatoes in boiling water and then in ice water to loosen the skins.


So much better than store bought
Check with your grandparents or relatives to see if they have any Ball jars laying around.
My grandma had big baskets full of them in her basement.
We don't follow a recipe exactly so unfortunately I can't share one on here. We kind of dump and taste. We've also made canned pickles and marinara. My husband and I are going to plant a garden at our house next year now that we're settled in a permanent home. I have no idea what I'm doing, but hope I can get some plants to grow. Thank goodness for google.

Here are a couple gardening resources from the Farmer's Almanac that I'll probably use:

http://www.almanac.com/vegetable-garden-planning-for-beginners

http://www.almanac.com/content/vegetable-garden-planner


No comments:

Post a Comment