Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Glazing furniture to add depth


It's been a while since I last created a post on here. I apologize! We were out of town and I'm just now getting back into the swing of things. This week I hope to show you some of my furniture projects.

I finally got the courage to try out a decorative glaze. I found this Rustoleum Java Brown Decorative Glaze from Home Depot.


This side table was originally used in my living room, but it's now in my guest bedroom. I found it on a garage sale for $7. I finally decided to add a fun color to it.
Before
 
During. This is before distressing and glaze.
I painted three coats of Valspar's La Fonda Ortiz Gold from Lowes. If you subscribe to Good Housekeeping, This Old House, or other home magazines you might find coupons for free 8 ounce samples. I've used several of those coupons to try out different shades. This container of Ortiz Gold was plenty for this project. In the past, you could also like their facebook page and get a free sample. Keep your eyes open for it!

I then distressed the piece with sandpaper and added the glaze. Be sure you've allowed plenty of time for the regular paint to dry before distressing and applying the glaze. I used a foam brush to wipe on the glaze and then an old rag to rub off the excess. It's really up to you how much you want to leave on.


The distressing is more noticeable on the corners.

There are tons of great glazing tutorials online like this one: http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/03/glazing-furniture-101.html

The glaze really tones down the color and gives it a much richer look!

No comments:

Post a Comment