Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Update those plain garage doors



We had plain garage doors just like everyone else on our block.


I wanted to add pizazz. I love the look of carriage house doors, but they're super pricey. We're talking at least $1,000 for one door and I needed two!
Lowes

I knew there had to be a better way. I bought two packs of this hardware from Home Depot for $18.98. If you're in the military be sure to always show your ID card for 10% off at Home Depot and Lowes.


Home Depot

This project is pretty easy. The hardest part is taping everything off and making sure it's lined up.
I used blue painters tape. I know other bloggers have used the green Frog tape. Basically, you'll need to measure the four rectangles on the top of your door, subtract the width of the tape, and then divide by two to see where your center tape should go.

My dog, Stormy, wondering what the heck is going on.
I used Rustoleum Gloss Black paint and brushed it on with a foam brush. I didn't use primer so it took me four coats to get good coverage.


My husband attached the hardware. Total cost was less than $50. Sure beats paying over $2,000!

These blogs have additional details and were super helpful when I started looking into this. Check them out!

Creating a Faux Carriage Garage Door

Easy Faux Carriage Door Tutorial

No comments:

Post a Comment