Thursday, October 17, 2013

What to do with that old piano bench



If you don't play the piano, you've probably never had much use for a piano bench. However, don't dismiss them just yet. I found this one on the curb for free when I was still living in Lincoln.


It was in decent shape. Just needed some paint and a fresh idea.

To be honest, it was dark and early when I picked it up and I wasn't even sure what it was. All I knew was that it was wood and it was free. I've always wanted a nice bench or footstool at the end of my bed so that's when I got the idea to add padding and fabric to the top.


I painted the legs antique white. The fabric was on clearance at Joann's and the Dritz Home Decorative Nailhead Trim is also from Joann's (link below). I used a 40% off coupon on the $21.99 trim so the whole project cost me less than $20.

http://www.joann.com/nailhead-trim-ant-gold-5-yds/10702140.html#q=nailhead%2Btrim&start=2

You will need to buy stuffing. I had an old pillow that I no longer needed and used the stuffing from that. If I were to do it again, I would use foam sheets from a craft store to get a smoother look. There are definitely some awkward bumps in this project. I've even seen bloggers use foam mattress pads. The hardest part is getting the fabric to stay put while adding the nail head trim. It's also somewhat tricky to get the nail head trim to lay straight, but you'll get the hang of it.

My cat, Simba, seems to think it's his new napping spot. It's currently at the foot of the bed in our new house. I think I'll eventually redo it with foam and a sturdier fabric, but for now it works.


No comments:

Post a Comment