Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Make your own skinny Christmas tree

I made this Christmas tree. Yes, the tree itself using a landscaping log and greenery. 



I faced a dilemma a few Christmases ago. I purchased a big, beautiful, artificial tree which I absolutely loved. By the time the season was over my cat had ruined it! I was so mad. He climbed it all season and decided that the lower branches were his new napping spot. He's so heavy (he weighs more than my dog) that the bottom branches started to hang on the ground.

I knew if I bought a new one the same thing would happen. I've always liked the rustic skinny trees that have wood trunks. Plus, they'd be much harder for the cat to climb.

Home Depot

Farmhouse Country Style
 By the way, how cute is this chest of trees? 

Funky Junk Interiors
I couldn't find a tree for the price I wanted to pay so I decided I'd make my own. My mom and I go to the Odell Craft Show in Odell, NE the Saturday after Thanksgiving every year. There is a lady that makes her own Christmas trees and then decorates them to sell. I asked her how she does it and that is how I got the idea to do my own. I really wish I had a picture of her trees. They're beautiful!

I purchased an outdoor landscaping log which can be found at any home improvement store. I think mine is 7' tall. Then I bought a bunch of artificial garland. You can get this anywhere especially close to Christmas. Be sure to get the kind with wire in it so you can shape the "branches" of the tree. 

I apologize for the lack of pictures. I did this project a couple years ago and had no idea I'd be blogging about it now. 

1. Create a sturdy base for the tree. My dad did this for me. He used two pieces of wood and made them into an X. He then nailed the X onto the bottom of the tree. 


2. Unravel your garland and determine how long the bottom branches should be. You'll want to work your way up. The lady from the craft show hot glues her branches on, but that didn't seem sturdy enough to me so I used a staple gun. 

3. Work your way up the tree with your garland and staple gun making the branches gradually shorter as you go. 

4. Decorate as you wish!



My tree ended up being really full compared to the trees you see above. I'd like to try it again and make the tree shorter, use better quality garland, and allow more of the trunk to show through. I don't hate this tree, but I don't love it. 

I do love the fact that after the holidays, all I have to do is cover it up and carry it to the storage room. Then when Christmas rolls around I carry it upstairs and uncover it. Saves a ton of time. I want to make smaller ones for each room. So much easier than completely setting up and decorating a tree each year (especially if you want to have more than one tree)!

I don't remember how much this project cost, but I want to say less than $40. I bought the decorations when they were 90% off. 

Have you decorated for Christmas yet?

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea...I have lots of odds and ends from 40 years of collecting Christmas decorations

    ReplyDelete