Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Red hot buffet



I found this buffet on Craigslist and thought it was unique. It's solid wood and has some nice serving features. The guy wanted $60, but it had been on Craigslist for a while so luckily he came down to $30.





While I usually feel guilty painting over solid wood, I felt this piece looked too outdated as is. This will go in our basement once the basement is finished.

I started by cleaning it well with TSP.


My husband liked the black top so I taped it off with blue painters tape.


I lucked out and found a new gallon of Zinsser primer and a gallon of red paint from EcoStore for $2.50 each. Normally, I recommend a grey primer if you're painting red.







The darn handles were nailed into the doors otherwise removing them would have been the very first task. I tucked paper behind the handles and lined them with painters tape before spray painting them black. It was not ideal as some of the black paint leaked through and I had to go back and do touch ups.


I decided to distress it with sandpaper and add glaze.



Brush the glaze on and wipe it off until it is to your liking. If it's 'too much' and has dried, take a damp cloth to it to remove some more of the glaze. I used Rust-Oleum Decorative Glaze in Java Brown. It's what I've used on all of my other glazing projects and I haven't even made a dent in the can. I think it'll last me forever!

Here are the afters:






I didn't glaze the inside. Still debating if I should.

Even though we plan to build a bar in the basement, this unique piece should come in handy when we entertain! Total cost was about $35.

No comments:

Post a Comment