Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bathroom demo

I tried to save money in my bathroom with a couple diy projects, see here and here. They didn't turn out as planned. We decided it was best to rip out the old and find a good deal on new.

Here's my poor husband trying to fix my screw up. Thankfully he's a very patient man! Tearing out the countertop and tile wasn't that hard. Just messy!
Here are the tools my husband used. Ignore the lighter. I have no idea why that was setting there. You do not need to set anything on fire! ;)



He had to pry off the top counter. Wasn't too hard.
Now it's ready for the new sink. I called around to local countertop stores and visited all three big box stores - Home Depot, Lowe's, and Menards.


Our countertop was not a standard size. (Of course this couldn't be easy!) Standard width sizes are: 19, 25, 28, 31, 34, 37, 40, 43, 49, 55, 61, 73, 85, and 97 inches.

As you can imagine, buying a standard countertop is much cheaper than having one custom made. We needed a 59 1/4" x 22" countertop. Most places quoted me $800-$1500 for a custom made granite or quartz top. We are just starting to finish our basement so I knew spending that much was out of the question. I could have gone with laminate to save money, but I figured we might as well do it right if we're going through the hassle.

I found a couple 61" quartz countertops on Menards.com for $349 which were by far the cheapest in this category. They were offering the 11% rebate so with the money back they were $310.61. I stopped by the store to check the countertops out. I had a tough time deciding which color to go with.





Thankfully my girlfriends were over one evening and made my decision easy. They liked the lighter one and my gut was telling me lighter as well.

The only problem was it was slightly too big. We did a lot of research and found out that cutting a granite or quartz countertop yourself isn't that hard. It still had my husband and I nervous. What if we cracked it? Then we're out a good chunk of change. We decided to take the risk anyway. I had to order it online since they don't carry many 61" counters in the store.

See how my husband and brother cut it to size tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment