Friday, January 31, 2014

Super Bowl weekend - fav appetizer recipes


Happy Friday! Do you all have big plans for the Super Bowl? Have you seen any of the commercials online yet? I love the Budweiser one above. How cute!

I thought I'd share some of my favorite appetizer recipes today. I love making appetizers and desserts. I could live off the two. My husband cooks most of the actual meals at our house (not my cup of tea). I'm perfectly okay with a bowl of cereal for supper or scrounging up whatever I can find in the cupboards. Not him. He'll cook full meals every night. I swear I'd be 10 pounds lighter if it wasn't for him! :)

Anyway, here are some tried and true (and seriously EASY) appetizer recipes that have been hits when I bring them places:

Knorr Spinach Dip

Image source here
 Ingredients

1 box (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, cooked, cooled and squeezed dry (I put it in a big bowl and  microwave until it starts to thaw and become a little watery. Then I simply squeeze out the excess water.)
1 container (16 oz.) sour cream
1 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
1 package Knorr® Vegetable recipe mix
1 can (8 oz.) water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional)
3 green onions, chopped (optional)

Directions

Combine all ingredients and chill about 2 hours. Serve with your favorite dippers to your favorite people.

*I like to put mine in a King Hawaiian Original Sweet Bread Bowl on a big platter. You'll cut out the center and then tear the bread up for dipping. I also arrange crackers around the bread bowl.

Cowboy Caviar


Image source here
Ingredients

2 cans Mexicorn
1 can Rotel (regular or hot)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 green onions (sliced)
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream

Directions

Combine all ingredients and chill about 2 hours. Serve with Fritos or chip of choice.

Pinwheels


 
Image source here

Ingredients
8 oz. dairy sour cream
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies, well drained (I don't like chilies so I skip this part)
1 can (4 oz.) chopped black olives, well drained
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 c. chopped green onion
5 (10 inch) flour tortillas
Garlic powder and pepper to taste
Salsa

Directions
Mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly. Divide the filling and spread evenly over the tortillas; roll up tortillas. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, twisting ends; refrigerate for several hours. Unwrap; cut in slices 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Discard ends. Lay pinwheels flat on glass serving plate. Leave space in center of plate for small bowl of salsa if desired.
Makes about 50 pinwheels.

Sugar Cookie Cheesecake

This next one isn't an appetizer, but I made it for Christmas and it was seriously amazing! Highly recommend.
Image source here
Ingredients

1 (17.5 oz) pouch sugar cookie mix
1 (4 serving size) box French Vanilla Instant Pudding
2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
3 tsp vanilla
2 whole eggs + 3 egg yolks
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
*optional ~ 2/3 cup toffee bits, pulverized in blender or food processor

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
  3. In a medium bowl mix cookie mix, pudding mix, brown sugar, melted butter, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 whole egg with a spoon...when dough started coming together I used my hands to knead it.
  4. Press the cookie dough into the bottom and slightly up the sides of the prepared pan.
  5. In a large bowl, using hand or stand mixer, beat cream cheese, granulated sugar, sour cream, the remaining whole egg and three yolks and 2 tsp vanilla until smooth and creamy.
  6. Spread the cream cheese mixture over top the cookie base.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set.
  8. While bars are baking pulverize your toffee bits in blender or food processor.
  9. Sprinkle on bars immediately upon removing from oven.
  10. Let cool on wire rack 30-45 minutes and then cover and transfer to refrigerator to continue cooling for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Have a good weekend and enjoy the Super Bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment