Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Craigslist finds...dining room

Craigslist is the bomb. I check out the following categories almost daily - materials, furniture, and antiques. Pretty soon I'll start checking the garage sale section since it's almost that time of year!

Don't get me wrong, I've had some frustrating experiences on Craigslist (scammers and no shows), but for me the pros outweigh the cons. You can find some really nice items for a fraction of what you'd pay in the store. You just have to be willing to sift through the junk. Plus, you can negotiate and you don't have to pay sales tax which can save a lot on a big purchase.

We recently picked this table up from a gentleman in Elkhorn, NE. If you're not from around here, Elkhorn is a really nice suburb of Omaha. It's a designer table (whatever that means) that was supposedly $3,000. We bought it for $295. They were moving the weekend we picked it up so I think they were just anxious to unload it.



Bring me my food, servant. Nooow!

There is actually another huge leaf and two more chairs that go with it. We don't have room to have it expanded all the time, but it will be great for company.

The counter height table that was in the dining room before was also a Craigslist find.


It's solid wood and we bought it for $200. When we purchased it, it was still being sold at Slumberland (or maybe it was Furniture Row? I can't remember now!) and would have cost us over $1,000 new. Sure it has a few scratches and scuff marks, but that's a small price to pay for as much money as we saved. This table will go in our bar area once the basement is finished.

Long story short - two solid wood, high quality tables for $495 instead of $4,000. Thanks, Craigslist!

No comments:

Post a Comment