Thursday, April 2, 2015

Makeover your appliances with stainless steel paint



We had an old, white (turning almond) beer fridge that was left at our house when we bought it. We purchased new appliances for the upstairs kitchen and moved this fridge downstairs. It was too ugly to put in our bar room so Rust-Oleum Stainless Steel Paint to the rescue!


It actually looks pretty good in this picture, but don't let it fool you. It was permanently dirty looking from years and years of use.

We cleaned the fridge with a lot of bleach water.

I bought this from Home Depot. It looks like they've now discontinued it there, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. I think it was around $30.

You'll need to apply thin layers. I used a high quality trim brush based on another blogger's recommendation. If I were to do it again, I'd use one of those small foam rollers.

We took the fridge completely apart.

Streaky! Probably why I had to do four coats!
On the fourth coat, I dug out this trimmer thingy. It worked okay. Again, use a small foam roller if you attempt this. You'll probably get a much smoother finish.



I did go back with a trim brush and paint the white plastic, suction area stainless steel as well.

We still need to frame around that pole, finish trim, hang doors, and decorate. But the bar room is coming along!

Here is the fridge after four coats. The paint really cleaned it up.





This fridge is a bit textured (rather than smooth) which I was worried about, but I think it turned out fine.






I'd definitely recommend this product as a quick, cheap fix for ugly appliances! The paint does not come off of whatever you're painting with, just a FYI. I had to toss a couple nice trim brushes once again :/ Regardless, give this product a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment